Christmas salad with mandarins and nuts
For the dressing
In a small frying pan, at medium to high heat, add phytin and once it has melted, add the pine cone and the nuts and toast them slightly, for half a minute, just enough so you can extract their oils and aromas. Then remove them and place them on an absorbent paper.
Add all the dressing’s ingredients in the blender and mix for a few seconds, until they have been homogenized.
In a bowl add the spinach, the valerian, add half of the nuts, a few slices of the mandarins and about 4-5 tablespoons of the dressing and mix gently.
Place the salad in a deep utensil of your liking, gently. Next, add on top of it the rest of the mandarins, nuts, pine cone, cranberries and the slices of the Danish blue cheese.
Lastly, add the zest of a mandarin, pepper and a bit of sea salt.
- You can also use Greek gruyére, but the Danish blue cheese offers a unique taste.
- If you can’t find valerian, use baby rocket instead to make the salad.
- You can use oranges, instead of mandarins.
- Trust me, the phytin will make a huge impact on the nuts.
- You can skip the part where you toast the nuts, but you will have less richness of the salad’s flavor.