Greek fava (yellow split pea purée)
Heat olive oil in a pot and add half of onion.
Lower the heat and add the fava. Stir well for 3 minutes, to make sure it doesn’t stick on the bottom of the pot.
Add water and let it boil.
In a cold frying pan, put the rest of the onion, add olive oil, enough paprika and cook over low heat, for 15 minutes. You will be surprised with the result.
When it boils, lower the heat at 1⁄3 and skim the froth. Cover lid if you wish. Stir as often as possible.
When the fava is thick enough, at about 35 minutes later, add olive oil and stir.
Turn off the heat and add lemon.
Add pepper and salt. According to your taste.
Place it in hand blender and whisk, until it becomes a fine cream.
Serve with onions, pepper and some paprika.
- Attention! Fava sticks easily on the bottom of the pot.
- You can add some thyme while sauté.
- Add as much lemon as you wish.
- Add as much oil as you like! Fava drinks as much oil as you add.
- Never add salt before fava is boiled.
- I used fava from Larissa region.
- Attention! Beating a mixture that contains lemon juice in a blender, results in shorter lifespan.